The requirements of the EMC Directive are intended to ensure that electrical and electronic devices are:
- designed to protect their operation from electromagnetic interference generated by other devices; and
- do not generate electromagnetic energy that could interfere with the safe operation of other devices.
Similar to other EU directives, the EMC Directive establishes broad requirements related to the electromagnetic compatibility of electrical and electronic devices (“essential requirements”), and relies on published standards to provide detailed technical specifications. The EU Commission periodically publishes lists of standards that can be used as a basis for assessing conformity with the Directive’s essential requirements, and regularly updates the list to include new standards as appropriate.
The EMC Directive provides manufacturers with two options for demonstrating conformity with the Directive’s requirements. Manufacturers that have established a formal internal production system that includes a complete electromagnetic compatibility assessment can issue a Declaration of Conformity as evidence of compliance with the Directive and apply the CE Mark to their products. Alternatively, manufacturers can elect to have their device examined by an EU Notified Body, which involves a thorough review of the product’s design and documentation. A Declaration of Conformity based on this EU-type examination is then issued, and the CE Mark applied to the product.
A new edition of the EMC Directive (2014/30/EU) was published in 2014, and is applicable to electrical products beginning in April 2016.
Compliance with the requirements of the EU’s EMC is required for many electrical and electronic products imported, marketed or sold in the EU. Products bearing the CE Mark are presumed compliant with the requirements of the EMC Directive as well as the requirements of all other applicable directives (the Low Voltage Directive, for example), thereby assuring legal access to all EU member states.
TÜV SÜD is an EU Notified Body authorised to evaluate products for compliance with the requirements of the EU’s EMC Directive and approve the use of the CE Mark. We offer a range of services to assist manufacturers and their agents to gain access to the EU marketplace, including:
- Interpretations of the requirements of EU directives
- Advice on which EU directives are applicable to your product
- Electromagnetic emissions and immunity testing assessments and report
- Notified Body opinions and reports
- Advice on Declarations of Conformity and the application of CE marking to your product
We can conduct EMC testing and assessments in our fully accredited laboratories or at your own site (testing at manufacturer’s premises, or TMP).
Our CE marking services for the EU’s EMC Directive:
- Testing - TÜV SÜD is an EU Notified Body for the EMC Directive, and is accredited for EMC testing under the IECEE’s CB scheme.
- Documentation - We can review the content of your product documentation and advise of any changes necessary to ensure compliance with the requirements of the EMC Directive.
- Regulations - TÜV SÜD technical experts keep up-to-date on EMC regulations and standards worldwide, and participate in a number of key industry groups and trade organizations.
- Other requirements - We can offer support in complying with the requirements of the EMC Directive in conjunction with other electrical safety regulations and standards.
TÜV SÜD is a leading provider of comprehensive testing and certification services. Our global network of technical experts, combined with our state-of-the-art testing laboratories, assure a single source solution for meeting all applicable requirements, standards and voluntary schemes. And TÜV SÜD technical professionals are actively involved in international advisory boards and standards development activities, ensuring the most up-to-date knowledge of current and changing requirements.
Represented in over 800 locations worldwide, TÜV SÜD has an unsurpassed track record of meeting and exceeding the requirements and expectations of our client companies. The TÜV SÜD brand and our distinctive blue octagon mark are instantly recognised around the globe as symbols of quality and safety, and will increase customer confidence in your brand.