Regulatory requirements and buyer expectations are driving the demand for electrical equipment and appliances that have been tested and verified by an independent third party for their energy efficiency. Energy-using products that demonstrate greater energy efficiency than comparable products are more widely accepted by regulators, buyers and consumers, and enjoy an important advantage in a competitive marketplace.
TÜV SÜD’s Energy Efficiency Verification services have been developed to support the efforts of manufacturers, importers and retailers to achieve compliance with energy efficiency regulations and voluntary energy efficiency programmes. In addition, TÜV SÜD’s global Energy Efficiency Centres of Excellence are equipped to test and certify energy-using products to worldwide energy efficiency requirements and standards, making us a single source for testing and certification services for all types of electrical equipment and appliances.
TÜV SÜD is a recognised Testing Laboratory and Certification Body under the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s ENERGY STAR programme, and a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) under the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). We are also accredited by the Standards Council of Canada to certify energy-using products to NRCan energy efficiency limits. Finally, TÜV SÜD has been accredited by the European Electrical Products Certification Association to certify electrical products under the ENEC scheme, and is recognised as a National Certification Body (NCB) and a Certification Body Testing Laboratory (CBTL) under the IECEE CB Scheme
TÜV SÜD offers a comprehensive suite of testing, certification and advisory services on the regulations, standards and voluntary energy efficiency and performance programs applicable to all types of energy-using products. TÜV SÜD technical experts can also assist in product design and development, quality testing, environmental certification and transport monitoring, and can provide customised services in support of global supply chain activities. The TÜV SÜD blue octagon certification mark is globally recognised as a symbol of product safety.
TÜV SÜD’s testing and certification services for energy-using products include:
- Testing - TÜV SÜD holds accreditations in the U.S., Canada and the European Union for regulatory and voluntary energy efficiency certification schemes.
- Documentation - We can review the content of your product documentation and advise of any changes necessary to ensure compliance with applicable requirements.
- Regulations - TÜV SÜD technical experts keep up-to-date on regulations, standards and programmes applicable to energy-using products worldwide, and participate in a number of key industry groups and trade organisations.
- Other requirements - We can offer support in complying with the requirements of other regulations and standards applicable to energy-using products.
TÜV SÜD is a leading provider of comprehensive testing and certification services for energy-using products. Our global network of technical experts, combined with our state-of-the-art testing laboratories, assure a single source solution for meeting all applicable requirements, standards and voluntary schemes. And TÜV SÜD technical professionals are actively involved in international advisory boards and standards development activities, ensuring the most up-to-date knowledge of current and changing requirements.
Represented in over 800 locations worldwide, TÜV SÜD has an unsurpassed track record of meeting and exceeding the requirements and expectations of our client companies. The TÜV SÜD brand and our distinctive blue octagon mark are instantly recognised around the globe as symbols of quality and safety, and will increase customer confidence in your brand.
Today, energy efficiency testing is applicable to a broad range of energy-using equipment and appliances. Types of products that may be subject to energy efficiency testing include:
- Consumer electronics
- Household and commercial appliances
- Audio and visual equipment
- Information technology equipment
- Lighting and luminaires
- Power supplies
- Toys, leisure and sports equipment
Energy efficiency testing actually includes a number of specific tests and assessments intended to evaluate various design features and use considerations of a given product. Energy efficiency testing can include:
- Energy consumption measurements
- Energy efficiency assessments
- Testing of power consumption in off mode
- Testing of power consumption in standby mode
- Availability of standby or power-saving functions
- Power management features
Ultimately, the use of specific energy efficiency tests depends on market regulations and buyer expectations.